We have 90 days 82 days left in NZ. This feels both REALLY close and REALLY far away. A lot will happen before we land in ‘merica on July 9th. Here are some things that are currently whirling around in my brain as of late.
1. I am worried that driving on the other side of the road will be weird to me – since driving on the left side is feeling normal at this point.
2. I would say that I am FINALLY feeling settled in – only to turn around and be unsettled again. I have finally adjusted to what our life looks like here only to have it flipped on its head again. I do think this year has given me better expectations for what next year will be like and that will be a blessing.
3. I still am looking forward to being in my own bed and not sleeping on a mattress on the floor.
4. I barely notice the accent anymore. When I do hear an American talk (or canadian), I realize it is easier on my brain. I will often meet Americans and not realize we sound the same. They usually ask me “where are you from?” and then it clicks. The main words that still stick out to me are Yes, which sounds like “yeeeeeeees” and No, which sounds like “naughey”.
5. We will miss the people. Kiwis are such kind people. Everyone we have met has been thoughtful and always willing to help out. Overall people are more reserved and very perceptive of non-verbal communication, but we have found that because of this they communicate intentionally. I will probably realize how different it really is after we arrive back to the US.
6. St Heliers – I am in love with this little village. The park, beach, cafes. I doubt we will ever live in a little place like this and I am trying to cherish it while we are here.
7. café culture – there are cafes and dairys everywhere. I am amazed by how many there are here and how getting a “proper coffee” is so important to people. It will be interesting to go back and order a drip coffee or latte versus a flat white, cappuccino, long black, espresso (I know you can technically order some of these in the US but they aren’t the same). NO one drinks drip coffee here – except us – ha!
8. I won’t miss the spiders, ants and SLUGS that have invaded our home. The living here is very indoor/outdoor and the no screens allow many flys, mozzies (what they call mosquitos), ants, spiders, cockroaches, wetas, you name it inside. we had another cyclone storm on friday and there was lots of rain. so much rain, a leak started in the ceiling of our dining room (when I love renting) and as I started cleaning it up at 5am I saw this huge slug on the floor! I made bill get up and throw it outside. I honestly can’t figure out how it sneaks in, but a friend said they come through under the doors. things aren’t sealed as tightly here because of the mild weather, but I am looking forward to not having these sorts of animals in our house regularly.
No comments:
Post a Comment